Saturday, April 25, 2009

Zaleski and Horvath Market Cafe

Zaleski and Horvath Market Cafe
1126 East 47th Street
Chicago, IL 60653
773.538.7372
Open weekdays, 7am - 7pm Weekends, 8am - 6pm

This is not, properly speaking, a breakfast joint, but it IS a lovely place to eat breakfast. The online menu doesn't mention it, but they've got a small selection of breakfast sammiches that are absolutely delicious. I couldn't resist the basic option, the Tenzing Norgay - egg, ham, and "a fantastic cheese" on a croissant. I was informed that they'd decided that either havarti or munster were worthy of the appellation, and I went with munster (I find it pairs beautifully with croissants). It was every bit as delicious as expected, but nonetheless, I'm still annoyed with myself for not being more adventurous and getting the Freegle, which is a croissantwich with nutella and bananas. Next time, next time.

Honestly, I mostly felt compelled to write a post because the place is just so pleasant. I think they've somehow culled the nicest people on the planet to work there. They're charming, friendly and fun, and seem to genuinely love what they do and, more importantly, what they eat. Nearly every time I've been there, someone working behind the deli counter will suddenly go "Oh my gosh this is delicious you've GOT to try it" and hand me a spoon with something tasty on it. These are people who really believe in their products.

It should also be mentioned that the coffee is tasty (though it was insanely hot), and the products they carry are fabulous, if pricy. It's great to be able to buy Spice House blends without having to trek up to the north side, and the specialty sodas there are SO tasty. It causes me physical pain to spend so much money on a bottle of ginger beer, but oh man, it is so delicious. The only product I haven't been particularly excited by is the Scarpetta sauces, but I generally don't get pre-made pasta sauces (just add some herbs and garlic to a can of tomatoes people, sheesh). On the other hand, I highly recommend the various snacky crackers, which are super addictive, and I love the chebe bread mix.

The place was bustling but not packed - there were a couple tables left when we arrived around 12, and it seemed like they were cool with people hanging out drinking coffee and reading. Overall, a lovely little place with a great neighborhood feel, definitely worth checking out. 

No comments: